Corpus Christi, the second Catholic parish in Colorado Springs, was established on Aug. 17, 1916,
by Father Felix C. Abel. The parish was a spinoff from St. Mary Parish downtown and embraced the missions
of Palmer Lake, Monument, Modern Woodmen of America Sanitarium and the north end of Colorado Springs.
The new parish was comprised of Catholics of English, Italian, Spanish and Slavic descent. Many of their
descendants are still in the parish today. A Baptist church building with a seating capacity of 170 located at the
corner of Tejon and Caramillo streets was purchased and moved to the site of the present church. Father Abel
celebrated the first Mass in the new sanctuary on Oct. 28, 1916. In 1921, Father Abel established the first parish
school with an enrollment of 66 students. In 1925, increased enrollment prompted the construction of a two-room
frame school on the property adjacent to the convent. Monsignor Anthony Elzi then served as Pastor of Corpus
Christi for 31 years until his retirement in 1972. The core of the present brick school building, built at a cost of
$140,000, was dedicated on March 12, 1950, with room for 350 children. Four more rooms were added to the
school building in 1959, which by then had an enrollment of 550 students.
On July 10, 1955, a one-day building fund drive was held and approximately $75,000 was raised toward the
construction of a $400,000 church. The church was completed in 1956 on the same spot where the Baptist
church building had been located. The new church seated 750 people, but six Sunday Masses were needed to
accommodate 3,000 parishioners. Father Robert Keikeisen served as pastor from 1972-1985. He was known
for his gift of singing and the RENEWAL retreats offered in the parish. Father Gerald Bruggeman served as
Pastor from 1985-1994. He developed collaborative lay ministry and increased the number of parish volunteers
exponentially. Following his retirement, he remained very active as a chaplain at Penrose-St. Francis Hospital.
Father Bill Carmody served as pastor from 1994-2000. His efforts at stewardship and tithing laid the groundwork
for a new wing to be added to the school in 1998 and a parish hall built in 2000. Father Stephen Parlet served as
pastor from 2000-2007 and Father Mark Zacker from 2007 until the present.
In 2014, Corpus Christi Catholic School was recognized by the Colorado Springs Gazette as one of the best
elementary schools in the city.