When the eastern limits of Colorado Springs stretched to Union Avenue in 1947, Denver Archbishop Urban J.
Vehr saw the need to meet the physical and spiritual growth of the community. On Nov. 6, 1947, the Archdiocese
of Denver purchased property on what is now the present site of Divine Redeemer Church and school.
Divine Redeemer Parish began with visits from Father Duane Theobald of the cathedral parish in Denver. In
July 1950, Father Theobald was appointed the first pastor. Since there was no church building at that time,
Masses were first celebrated in the St. Francis Hospital chapel. With the help of U.S. Senator Edwin C. Johnson,
the abandoned Officer’s Club at Ent Air Force Base was used as a temporary church.
Groundbreaking for a new church and school was held June 1955. The building was dedicated in October 1956,
and the school opened its doors with six classrooms in grades 1-6. A grade was added each year, and the first
graduation of eighth-graders was in June 1958. In February 1968, Father Frederick McCallen was assigned
pastor, and he presided over the beginning of the construction of a new church building. Three years later, Father
Omer Foxhoven saw the dream become a reality. On Feb. 21, 1971, the new church was dedicated. That year,
school enrollment was 513 students (grades 1-8), and the school had 16 classrooms.