Our Lady of Perpetual Help Parish was founded in Colorado City in 1860 to minister to the first settlers in the
area. On July 30, 1882, Bishop Joseph Machebeuf dedicated a Catholic Church in Manitou Springs. The new
church, built by the Gillis brothers at 218 Ruxton Ave., was dedicated on Aug. 1, 1889, with Father Frederick
Bender as its pastor. A small rectory was built that same year. Four years later, Father J.B. Francolon became
the pastor and built Miramont Castle. On Aug. 3, 1903, the original church was destroyed by fire. A new structure
was built and dedicated by the following October, when Father Michael F. Callahan added the Lourdes Grotto.
In 1926, the Oblates of Mary Immaculate took charge of Our Lady of Perpetual Help, serving it as a mission from
the expanded and now-renamed Sacred Heart Parish in Old Colorado City. The Congregation of Holy Cross as-
sumed pastoral leadership in 1984.