In 1888, St. Mary’s Church of Old Colorado City was a mission of the oldest church in the diocese, Our Lady of
Perpetual Help in Manitou Springs. On July 16, 1922, it was renamed Sacred Heart Church and expanded.
In 1926, care for Sacred Heart, as well as Our Lady of Perpetual Help, was taken over by the Oblates of Mary
Immaculate. In 1984, when the Vicariate of Colorado Springs became a full-fl edged diocese, the Congregation
of Holy Cross assumed leadership of Sacred Heart Parish, including Sacred Heart, Our Lady of Perpetual Help and Holy Rosary Chapel.