In 1901, a small church, 20 feet wide by 30 feet long, was built under the direction of Franciscan Father Hugo
Kummer by Nelson H. Woods. The Franciscan Fathers took care of the mission parish along with other places
along the Kansas Pacific and Rock Island railroad lines until 1909. By that time Rock Island had a spur to
Colorado Springs and Father Godfrey Raber, pastor of St. Mary Parish in Colorado Springs, and his assistant
were given charge of the mission parishes. In 1912 Father George Fenske was appointed pastor of St. Charles
Borromeo Parish in Stratton and was also responsible for the Catholic communities in Burlington, Cheyenne
Wells, Hugo and Limon.
In February 1913, Bishop Nicholas Chrysostom Matz of Denver appointed Father Alphonse Keiffer to the Stratton Parish with responsibility for all the missions. In May 1918, Father Keiffer moved from Stratton to the newly opened parish of Cheyenne Wells and was given the missions of Kit Carson, Hugo and Limon. Father Keiffer’s assistant, Father Michael A. Horgan, was appointed pastor of St. Anthony in Hugo along with the missions of Limon, Deer Trail and Strasburg in 1923. Three acres of land were acquired by Father Horgan, and he moved into a new rectory on Jan. 1, 1924. In August of that year the small church was moved to a site next to the new rectory, and a sacristy was added. In 1944, Father Horgan obtained a 24-by-86 feet building from the Civilian Conservation Corps, and had it moved near the church. Later on further improvements were made and the building remains as the parish hall.
In October 1945 tragedy struck St. Anthony when Father Horgan was fatally injured in an automobile crash.
He was 52 years old and had been a priest for 28 years, having served 22 of them as St. Anthony’s pastor.
In December 1945, Father John Scannell was appointed pastor. In 1947 Father Francis Pettit was appointed
new pastor in Hugo and Limon and built a new church. The cornerstone was laid on Dec. 4, 1949, and the new
church dedicated on Feb. 20, 1950. The cost of the church was $34,000. In October 1950, the Hugo Catholic
Calvary Cemetery was plotted and fenced. The cemetery was started at the bequest of a man who left the
property to the church suggesting that it be used for a cemetery.
In 1992, Vincentian Father Bill Rhinehart became pastor, ushering in a 10-year period when the Vincentian
Fathers committed themselves to serving the parishes of eastern Plains. Father Jay Jung, another Vincentian
priest, was appointed pastor and served the community from July 1999-2001. Father George V. Fagan, a former
chancellor and judicial vicar for the Diocese of Colorado Springs, was appointed pastor in 2002.