St. Augustine Parish began in the 1880s when a Franciscan priest visited Kit Carson. Mass was celebrated in
the early 1900s in a schoolhouse. Fundraisers paid for a church that was eventually completed in 1920. In 1916,
William Rhoades donated the land to the church in Kit Carson. In May 1918, construction of the church began.
The exact date of the first official Mass in the newly constructed church has been lost to history, but it was either
late 1919 or early 1920.
Father Alphonse Keiffer served as pastor of St. Augustine from 1909-53. In 1950, Father Francis Brem came to
assist at the parish. After Father Keiffer retired, Father Brem became pastor. Father John C. Canjar served as
pastor of the parish from 1955-1959. In 1959, Father George Kearney became pastor and led the dedication
ceremony for the current church in May 1965.
From 1966-84, St. Augustine Parish had six different pastors. In 1984, St. Augustine became part of the Diocese
of Colorado Springs and Father James Halloran was assigned as its pastor. From 1988 to 2002, St. Augustine
Parish had five different pastors, and then in 2004, Father Jaimes Ponce became the parish administrator. Father
Boleslaw Kuzma served as parish administrator from 2007-09. Father Kirk Slattery served as the pastor of St.
Augustine from October of 2009 to March 2012. During his tenure an adult education class was started and a
Spanish ministry was formed. Father Carlos Gallardo-Morales was named temporary administrator in March
2012. In August 2012, Father Alfredo Garcia was assigned pastor of St. Augustine Parish and Sacred Heart
Parish in Cheyenne Wells. Father Rafael Torres-Rico was assigned pastor in June of 2013. On August 30 of
2015 Father Jason Keas was installed as pastor.