St. Catherine of Siena
St. Catherine of Siena
Phone: (719) 346-71560
Fax: (719) 346-7172
Website: www.stcatherineofsienacos.org
Parish Clergy
PASTOR: Rev. Carlos Gallardo
DEACON: Deacon Norbert Ohnmacht
Mass & Confession Schedule
Saturday Anticipated

Please see St. Charles Borromeo - Stratton, CO

Sunday Mass

10:00 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. in Spanish

Weekday Mass

MASS, ADORATION and CONFESSIONS — Wednesdays, Mass at 6:30 p.m.; Adoration and Confessions, 7 p.m.

Holy Days

Dec. 7 — Mass for the Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception, 7 p.m.

Advent Services

Christmas Services

Dec. 24 — Vigil Mass at 5 p.m. Dec. 25 — Mass at 10 a.m.

New Year's Services

Jan. 1 — Mass for the Solemnity of Mary, Mother of God, 10 a.m.

Confession

MASS, ADORATION and CONFESSIONS — Wednesdays, Mass at 6:30 p.m.; Adoration and Confessions, 7 p.m.

Adoration

MASS, ADORATION and CONFESSIONS — Wednesdays, Mass at 6:30 p.m.; Adoration and Confessions, 7 p.m.

Other Services

Parish Map

450 3rd St
Burlington, CO 80807
View Map/Get Directions

Parish History

In 1910, a priest would come from Colorado Springs and say Mass once a month in Burlington. At that time, Mass
was held in homes, using chairs, wooden benches and occasionally bales of hay for seating. In 1916, the parish
was established and a small wood frame church was built under the guidance of Father Alphonse C. Keiffer, pastor
at St. Charles Borromeo Church in Stratton. As the parish steadily grew, the bishop assigned Father Joseph Lane
as the first resident pastor in September 1949. In 1969, a building fund was established for the purchase of property
and new, larger church. In 1974, Archbishop James V. Casey granted permission to proceed with the building. In
August 1975, the parish gathered for the groundbreaking ceremony. Archbishop Casey celebrated the dedication
Mass for the new church on July 3, 1976. The mortgage on the church was retired in December 1986. During
this time the youth of the parish held their classes at the local Knights of Columbus hall and at a nearby Lutheran
church. The youth programs quickly outgrew their facilities. Father Hank Grodecki created a fundraising drive for a
parish hall. Raising half of the funds needed and pledges for the rest, groundbreaking for the center took place in
the spring of 1996. The mortgage for the parish center was retired in the fall of 2006.

On Jan. 9, 2004, vandals desecrated and set the church on fire. Father Frank Quezada was pastor at the time
and called for parishes in the diocese, especially those in the Plains and churches around the country, to come
together to help and lend financial support to the restoration of the church building. The church was rebuilt by the
parishioners. The design, most of the wood furnishings, the great cross, door handles, the statue of Our Lady
of Guadalupe in bronze, the bell tower and louvers have all come from the hands of parishioners. The statue of
St. Catherine of Siena, the only one to have survived the fire unscathed, along with the rebuilt Stations of the
Cross and the original processional cross from the first church have been placed in the new church and are
a constant reminder of the heritage and the struggles of the people of the eastern Plains of Colorado. Bishop
Michael J. Sheridan presided over the dedication Mass of the refurbished church on Oct. 1, 2005.