In July 1975, the first Vietnamese immigrants settled in Colorado Springs. Father Matthew Minh Thanh Tran,
working for the United States Catholic Council, came to Colorado Springs in 1976 to celebrate Mass for about
half a dozen families at a home on Wahsatch and Platte avenues downtown.
The first president of the local Vietnamese Catholic Community was Nguyen Van Cuong. The community
celebrated Mass from 1984-92 in the Pauline Chapel at St. Paul Parish in the Broadmoor section of Colorado
Springs. In 1992 the Vietnamese Catholic Community moved to the basement of the diocesan chancery (at that
time located on Kiowa Street across from St. Mary’s Cathedral) to celebrate Mass. That year, the quasi-parish of
the Vietnamese Holy Martyrs was formed by the Diocese of Colorado Springs.
In 2001, with the help of the diocese, Vietnamese Holy Martyrs acquired a church at 1133 Wahsatch Ave., where
the community continues to worship. Father Matthew Minh died in 2005 shortly after retiring and was replaced by
a parochial administrator, Father Augustine Nguyen. In June 2009, Father Joseph Vu, a priest of the Diocese of
Tulsa (Okla.) who recently retired as a military chaplain for the U.S. Air Force, was named the first pastor.