St. Peter Chapel in Cripple Creek holds dedication for new parish hall February 17
CRIPPLE CREEK. St. Peter Chapel in Cripple Creek has seen a resurgence in attendance in the past few years. Not only was the church itself remodeled, a new community hall has been added to the property.
On Feb. 17, St. Peter Hall was dedicated after the noon Mass by Father Timothy Corbley, pastor of Our Lady of the Woods Parish in Woodland Park and St. Peter Chapel.
The Mass filled the church to capacity, and the dedication followed by a potluck chili cook-off allowed for standing room only. Not only Cripple Creek and Victor locals, but many parishioners from Woodland Park made the trek up the mountain for the celebration in the nice sunny weather.
With the addition of the hall, local parishioners will be able to continue the growth of their faith formation classes and ministries. The camaraderie among those enjoying the afternoon and a warm lunch continues to bring our neighboring communities closer.
Father Thomas Volpe founded St. Peter in 1892. The new community hall was constructed next to the church on the site of the former parish school, which was established in 1901 by the Sisters of Mercy.
(Heather Davis is Director of Discipleship and Social Outreach for Our Lady of the Woods Parish in Woodland Park.)